Installing Linux on the PlayStation3: A short guide
2. Boot a minimal version of Linux.
3. Install Linux distribution (here, we use Yellow Dog Linux)
1. A PlayStation3
2. A USB keyboard is essential (mouse is not, but can be handy)
3. PS3 controller is essential, but that comes with your PS3
4. A display - your TV will do well. Alternatively, a computer LCD monitor with DVI-D plug and HDCP complaint and a DVI-D to HDMI cable.
* YDL DVD ISO (This is a DVD .iso, so you will need a DVD burner to burn the ISO on a DVD under Linux or Windows)
* Answer Yes to the following question \'.... Are you sure to continue?\' No data will be deleted. Select \'Custom\' when asked about partition settings and then select \'Allot 10GB to the Other OS\' (you may decide to give 10GB to the PS3 system depending if you plan to use more Linux or the PS3 for games).
* After this step, your PS3 will format the hard drive accordingly, creating a 10GB slot in your hard disk for Linux OS.
* When the PS3 has finished formatting, a \"Format Complete\" message will appear. Everything is OK. Then, Press X button on controller to restart the system.
* Select Settings -> System settings -> Install Other OS. After that your PS3 will search for an \"other os installer\". It should find it on your YDL DVD in the /PS3/otheros/ folder on the DVD, so you are prompted something like: installer found in ....
* Select OK, and the PS3 will ask you to press the X button to start the installer.
* Press the X button. Your PS3 will install the \"minimal Linux boot loader\" (otheros.bld file) so that you can run a minimal version of linux when restarting your PS3.
* We have to tell your PS3 to run the bootloader every time it is switched on, so that you can choose between the two operating systems. Select Settings -> System Settings -> Default System You will have to choose between PS3 and Other OS. Select Other OS.
* Switch off your PS3 holding down the PS button on your controller.
* From now on, follow YDL installer instructions.
|ID: 1167 | Rating: 0 | rate: / Reply Quote|